The happiest day of a parent's life is the moment they get to hold their sweet baby in their arms for the first time. Imagine yourself in this moment and then the doctor says your baby has been diagnosed with cystic fibrosis. What do you do? Where do you turn?
First, a few grim background facts:
Cystic fibrosis (CF) is a chronic, progressive, and ultimately life shortening genetic disease, primarily damaging the respiratory and digestive systems.
A diagnosis of CF can be a patient’s, and parent’s, worst nightmare – CF is indiscriminate, cruel, and, UNTIL NOW, unbeatable.
Decades of research and development are finally yielding breakthroughs and for families touched by the disease, the world is getting brighter.
In January 2012, CF took a big hit from American researchers and the FDA, with the approval of Kalydeco, the first drug to treat the underlying cause of cystic fibrosis for 4% of the CF community.
What’s significant about this game-changing drug and the underlying research?
- It addresses the root cause of CF, not just the symptoms.
- Its reach will extend to a broader subset of CF patients (clinical trials are underway).
- It is only the beginning. The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation maintains a robust pipeline of potential therapies that target the disease from every angle.
In other words, what we’re learning is cracking the armor of this disease, and the game IS changing. With your help, CF could be almost fully treatable within the decade.
What’s happening in Metro Atlanta?
- Hundreds of families in the Metro Atlanta area are affected by CF.
- Metro Atlanta is fortunate to have three of only 110 accredited CF Centers in the United States, a testament to a dedicated local team helping families from all around the region.
- Now that there is traction, any contributions will make a huge difference.
How can you help?
- Contribute to ShamRockin' for a Cure --the timing is historic, the location is memorable and the event will be legendary. Sponsor the event, buy a ticket, offer something for the auctions or donate to the cause.
- Your contribution will not only get you into the greatest St. Patrick’s Day celebration, but these funds will benefit the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation (CFF).
Where will my money go to make the biggest impact in the fight against CF?
- Your contribution will will enable CFF to take full advantage of the tremendous opportunities in CF research that we now see on the horizon.
- CFF appreciates your support and promises to invest it in the wisest way possible - to save lives.
- Your contribution will make an actual difference in the lives of children and adults who are battling CF right now.
The Bottom Line
Researchers just delivered a one-two punch that has knocked cystic fibrosis to its knees, for the first time in history. But while CF is down, it isn't out just yet. So join the CF smack down today, and let's all pile on together.
Even as you read this, some kids, and adults, are receiving medicine that will essentially neutralize their disease. Amidst a research revolution, you are witnessing the reign of CF coming to an end, and your contribution will help liberate tens of thousands from cystic fibrosis.
On behalf of every single one of those patients, their friends, and their families, thank you sincerely for your help.